Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Birdies



Here they are...all 16 of them. Some of my students helped me make a few of them while they were waiting for some of their own things to dry. I love them all. My mom is going to make a tree so they'll have a home. When she gets that done, I'll post them again. Mom is pretty crafty herself, especially with floral arrangement type things.

I racked my brain about what to make for the boys who come to SB's birthday party and finally decided on something. I am going to screen print a t shirt for them. I just got the supplies to screen print and need to learn the process anyway.

I often consult with my students for good ideas because they genuinely have some...sometimes. One of my Freshman girls said that a good idea would be to put the iPod logo on a t shirt but add an extra "o" in it. That way it would say "iPood" which is humorous, but I'm not sure all the parents of these boys would find it as amusing as I did. One of my high school boys suggested I make a buzzard on a shirt because that still stuck with the bird theme, but was more masculine (...and grotesque.)

Since I'm trying to stick with the bird theme, I ended up with a pretty cute little owl with a caption under it that says, "I'm a hoot!" It's not too original, but why reinvent the wheel? I completely drew the owl on my own, with constant critiques from my students. They really do have good things to say, but they can be brutally honest too. In the end, I liked it and I plan to share the process in a later post for those who are completely new to screen printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment