Saturday, June 13, 2009

Belated Birthday

So it's been quite a while and I have more than enough to say, although I plan to keep this one short. My last post was April 6th. Sarah Beth's birthday was May 6th. We had her birthday party today. The photos in this post were taken a few days ago. Her birthday pics will be posted when I get enough energy to retrieve them from my camera.
What's that you say? Why a month and a half later? Oh...that's a story of its own. May 2nd was her original party date. Plans changed the day before the party. Lots to do with contagious viruses, vacations, rodeos, school, other birthday parties, text messages, the kitchen sink...
In the end things all worked out. We scaled down the party to include close friends of the family and family members. Even with the smaller crowd, it was very busy. She has been receiving presents now for over a month, because people felt bad about not giving her a present on her birthday. They've been trickling in here and there through mail or passing by. She's an old pro at unwrapping packages or removing tissue from bags. Todd says she'll think all birthdays last a month long. We'll have some 'splainin to do next year.
As a christian mother, it is my goal to teach her not to treasure trinkets. Don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful for all the gifts - these people are helping us provide for our girl. Those are clothes we don't have to buy. And those toys - how expensive are they! Yes! I am thankful for every last ribbon and battery. I just want her to know that they will not bring her lasting contentment. Eventually as we all do, she will outgrow the clothes and get bored with the toys. I pray that Todd and I will succeed in teaching her to love and cherish the imperishable treasure who "gives life and breath and all things to all." For anyone reading who doesn't know what I'm talking about - it's Jesus.

I love that smile and those sweet baby blue eyes.

Little bit of attitude coming through there...



No comments:

Post a Comment