Saturday, June 26, 2010

What Makes Me Smile

 I often wonder if what I try to teach Sarah Beth hits home.  When we drive down the road we look at clouds and trees and animals and talk about them. Todd and I always ask her, "Who made the (object of God's creation)." She knows the answer and gladly spits it out.  She knows a few Bible verses too.  She also happens to know where people were first called Christians. 

Yesterday I was sitting on her rocking chair checking email on my phone and she was setting the table for a nice tea with her animals.  She asked me to get her some napkins from the kitchen so off I went still checking my mail as I got a hand full of napkins.  I sat them on her table and she started passing them out to each guest.  I was reading something about embroidering on my phone when all of a sudden I heard, "Jesus please bless this food. Amen."  I had tuned out all the other conversations she was having with them but when she prayed, I heard it loud and clear.  It wasn't more holy or louder.  I just heard it and it melted my heart.  At that point I exited my email and took this picture with my phone.

Her prayer may be ritual now but one day it'll sink in.  I try to take as many opportunities to observe and verbalize all that God has done for us so that she will someday develop a heart of thanksgiving, knowing that all she has, even her breath, is from Jesus who created and saves her.  Her little prayer gives me hope that this part of her growing up will be one of my most treasured memories.
Deut. 6:5-9
5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment