Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cha Cha Cha CHANGE

If you've read this blog before or you know me, then you know what line of work I'm in.  I teach "talented art" to a small groups of kids each day in a public school setting.  Due to the nature of my job, I tend to keep the same students for a number of years.   Some I've taught for 5 years now.  I've practically watched them grow up.  I've gotten to know their parents as friends and feel very comfortable seeing familiar faces every new school year.  Next year will be more of the same and I'm glad of it. 

One thing gets to me though.  Once my students move to 9th grade I lose them to another teacher.  I know it's for the the best, but it doesn't make it any easier.  They always make me feel like I'm the key to their success as an artist, and while I'm flattered, really my desire is for them to take what they know and run with it, learn something new, get a fresh perspective.  

My greatest desire for my departing students is that they would remember my everyday life, while FAR from perfect, is pointing to Christ and bearing fruit.  If it isn't, then the greatest artist to come from under my teaching would be wasting paint.  It's true that I love art, but I love Jesus more.  I'd rather see the gospel advanced in their lives than visual arts.

To my students who read this blog:
I love you,
I'll really miss you,
Come and see me,
Ride the bus back to the elementary school next year if you must.

Ahem... Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Tomorrow is SB's actual birthday.  I don't think I'm gonna tell her.

No comments:

Post a Comment